For the past 5 years, I have been able to be a member of Jenny Phillips' fireside group. Jenny is an LDS recording artist (learn more about her here) and is one of the sweetest, most caring people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. I usually do between 1-2 firesides a month with her and other members of the group.
I can honestly say that being part of this group has changed my life. Sometimes before I go to one I feel like it's a hassle driving to the various firesides and taking time out of my life but once I get there, I remember just how much I love it and why I need to go.
The first time I saw a fireside put on by Jenny was at girl's camp up at Lake Lyman (or Leech Lake as we call it). She had brought a few girls up with her to do it and I loved listening to the words and music that she put on. A year or two later, our stake went on the pioneer trek and, to my pleasant surprise, they had gotten Jenny to come again and put on the trek reunion fireside. I remember sitting in the audience thinking for sure that I knew one of the girls in the choir. I could have sworn it was my friend Jen and because of that, I decided to be brave and ask about how to be in the choir. By the time I got up to where the performers were, I couldn't find Jen so I asked another person, got all the audition info and here I am today.
It turns out that Jen had never been in the group and probably thought I was a crazy person for asking her about it but I know that I "saw" Jen up there to give me the guts to become a part of the choir and I am so thankful for that experience.
Tonight we had a fireside in Clearfield and even though I've performed this program that we put on tonight half a dozen times, it never fails to touch my heart. In part of the fireside, Jenny talks about standards and about the part of the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet that discusses entertainment. In one section, it says that we shouldn't participate in entertainment that presents immorality or violence as acceptable in any way. She goes on to share an experience after reading that section where she decided to set that standard for herself. She told her husband that she was going to do that and he was supportive but told her that that would eliminate many, many options from TV nowadays. She said, and this is coming from a person that seriously glows and just radiates love for everyone, that she had never had anything have such a big impact on the feeling of her home.
This really hit home for me tonight. I'm not one for violent shows, but I am a sucker for some shows that occasionally (or not so occasionally) portray immorality as acceptable. I will be the first to admit that I have been in a rut. When I get home, the TV comes on. We're eating dinner, the TV is on. If I have to get ready still and Selma wakes up, the TV (Sesame Street) comes on.
I am embarrassed to admit that it is rare that the TV is not on when we are home. What happened to my love of reading? Why don't I just turn on music instead of the TV while I'm cleaning or doing homework?
Somebody tell me I'm not alone.
Somebody tell me I'm not alone.
While I was driving home tonight, I was on a spiritual high. Not only had I been uplifted by listening and performing in the fireside, but my good friend Kim gave the best talk in sacrament meeting today that motivated me to get out of my rut. I am determined to make myself better. To listen to inspiring music more, to turn off the TV more, to read more, to put my laptop away more, to set aside time to read the Ensign each month, to actually study the scriptures instead of speed reading through half a chapter by the light of my phone in bed each night. I can do this.
This, however, is where the problem starts. I get motivated and excited to change, I start doing them all, do well for about a week, realize I tried to change too many things and can't do them all at once, and drop the ball. To remedy this, I have made a plan to start adapting one new thing each week. It's my little experiment.
I know some may think it kind of weird to blog about spiritual, religious things, but I feel like this is where I desperately need to be right now. I can just hope that if I pass on what I have felt and my experiences that it just might help somebody else be uplifted as well.
This week, for my experiment, I'm going to listen to inspiring music more throughout my day and driving all the various places I have to go during the week.
Here is one of my favorite songs by Jenny, it always makes me happy to listen to it and I can't wait to start doing it more every day.
This, however, is where the problem starts. I get motivated and excited to change, I start doing them all, do well for about a week, realize I tried to change too many things and can't do them all at once, and drop the ball. To remedy this, I have made a plan to start adapting one new thing each week. It's my little experiment.
I know some may think it kind of weird to blog about spiritual, religious things, but I feel like this is where I desperately need to be right now. I can just hope that if I pass on what I have felt and my experiences that it just might help somebody else be uplifted as well.
This week, for my experiment, I'm going to listen to inspiring music more throughout my day and driving all the various places I have to go during the week.
Here is one of my favorite songs by Jenny, it always makes me happy to listen to it and I can't wait to start doing it more every day.
6 comments:
That is a beautiful song!!!
Thanks for this post!
You are definitely not alone! I almost always have the TV on, partly because a quiet house (especially when I'm all by myself!) is scary. Instead of turning on the TV for noise, I started listening to conference talks. It's been great. I get the noise and get uplifted at the same time! It's still a struggle though. Set little goals for yourself...like "No TV during dinner this week." or "No TV until after noon." just to get you used to it.
Keep us updated! You're awesome!
And really I was just giving myself a pep talk to change my life. Very sweet of you to mention me, and thanks for all the rolls. They're gone! Love being your neighbor for more reasons than rolls.
I am in the YW presidency in my ward and at girls camp this past year we had some people come up (the main singers are in our stake), Mike and Mary Ann Martin, and a couple other ladies, and they did the performace that was something about the 3 daughters who were told to build this castle. They said they perform with Jenny Phillips at firesides also, so you probably know them. It was such an impact on the girls, and the leaders. What an awesome experience it must be to do something like that every month.
I admire your desire to do better spiritually. Your blog entry has inspired me to do better myself.
Stef, thank you so much for posting about this. I really, REALLY needed it. The video was everything I needed to hear today. Hope you don't mind if I also post on my blog?
I'd love more spiritual posts! And I definitely battle the TV too! As soon as LOST is over, I think I'll go a month without. :)
that is awesome! i was scheduled to audition this last summer but the day before i started hemorrhaging and was back in the hospital. :( you will have to let me know when she will hold them again.
Post a Comment