This is my sweet, little toddler.
She loves books, pretzels, climbing up and down stairs, and playing with and giving lots of love to her family.
She does not love sharing. And by not love, I mean hates. If any other kid even looks at one of her toys or walks by her, she will growl/squeal at them or snatch it away before they can steal it from her. Of course, she's little and doesn't fully understand, but what can ya do.
Case and point: I get to watch Selma's little buddy (victim) Hayes usually once a week. Hayes decided that Selma's prized kitty tiles looked like fun so he grabbed one (out of the 50 that there are) and proceeded to play with it. Obviously, Selma was not going to have any of that.
"Hey that's my very uninteresting box!!"
So, my question to pose to you is this. When is too early to start disciplining your child? What have you tried on a 14 month old and what has worked for you?
I always try to help her share and make sure her friends keep the toys they were playing with first if she tries taking them away. I've pulled her away from the toys and even tried time out once for a minute. I always tell her no when she does it and try to be consistent so that she will learn that it's not nice to take toys away from other kids.
I guess I have to learn that she's still pretty young to learn to share but, hey, I am all ears for advice people!
As for this little stinker, she usually is just the sweetest little girl and we sure love her to pieces!! She has been loving climbing onto chairs lately, especially our rocking chair. This is a picture of her today when I turned around and saw her rocking herself back and forth.
6 comments:
Don't worry, I think all kids go through that very territorial stage. Usually at that age I just try redirection. It seems to work best because there is no reasoning with a 1 year old! :)
It takes kids a long time to learn to share. The problem is, their brains literally don't understand it. So, don't worry! Your baby is completely normal.
Agreed. Totally normal. Never too early to discipline, but she'll get it when she's ready. Love those pictures!
my biggest advice is to distract with something else! It works wonders, or just remove her from the situation and she will forget what she was mad about. Also give lots and lots of praise if she gives something to another toddler. Jack just likes the praise so he now hands all his toys to any newcomers... well except his favorite ones of course!!
What you don't know is that Hayes probably did something to her first! He can be a little bully himself so it is probably good for him!
Girl, I can't even tell you how thankful I am that you watch Hayes! Seriously, you know how protective (crazy/paranoid/insane) I am sometimes, so it is SO nice to know I can take him to you! You rock! Thanks!!!
You'll know it when the time comes. Like when your kid pushes another kid into the sand because it's HER turn up the slide. Then you look over and an entire playgroup of mommies hate your guts. (true story)
PS, our kids have the same clothes!! HA HA! i heart gymboree and target.
Post a Comment