
Tonight, I ran across a blog that was linked to my cousin Reagan's blog that really made me step back and ponder for awhile. I haven't blog-hopped for a long time and I don't know what made me happen upon this one, but I think I needed it. I've definitely been taking too many things for granted.
The blog that I've spent the last hour perusing is about a NYC couple who have a daughter with Cerebro Costo Mandibular Syndrome (I tried googling it and from what I saw, it's such a rare condition that they don't have very much information on it.. If anybody knows exactly what it is, let me know, I really am very curious as to what this syndrome entails). Both him and his wife have a blog (his blog is www.jakesnewblog.com) and they post a lot about visiting their daughter in the hospital. You read that right, they have to visit their only daughter in the hospital. That right there just blows me away.
From what I've read, she just turned two and has literally spent her whole life in different hospitals. I can't fathom this. I thought my painful nursing woes were bad, but what if I couldn't breastfeed at all because my baby had to be hooked to different tubes and wires? I thought having to wake up in the night several times was horrible and that I'd never get any real sleep, but what if I didn't even have my baby sleeping in the next room over? It's all I can do to not run into Selma's room right now, wake her up and just snuggle her.
What amazes me most about the blogs I was reading is how positive they both seem about the whole situation. Could I be like that? Would I be able to see the silver lining of something so hard? They seem like the funnest family and the baby is so so sweet and cute, I don't know how they do it. I know that everyone has different trials that are suited to them and we all have different strengths and weaknesses to be able to handle them, but wow... Have you ever heard that saying that goes something like "If everyone's trials were hung on a line, you would take yours and I would take mine"? Or, in other words, we may think that everyone else's grass is greener, but when when it all boils down, our grass is just fine!
I know they'll never read this, but their blog had an impact on me tonight. I'm going to try to look at each day in a new light. I'm going to try to smile during a meltdown because I have my baby to hold and take care of. I'm going to stop trying to "keep up with the Joneses" and realize that what we have is just great!! I'm going to try to remember that everyone has different circumstances and that you never really know what's going on in someone's life. I'm going to count my blessings.
The blog that I've spent the last hour perusing is about a NYC couple who have a daughter with Cerebro Costo Mandibular Syndrome (I tried googling it and from what I saw, it's such a rare condition that they don't have very much information on it.. If anybody knows exactly what it is, let me know, I really am very curious as to what this syndrome entails). Both him and his wife have a blog (his blog is www.jakesnewblog.com) and they post a lot about visiting their daughter in the hospital. You read that right, they have to visit their only daughter in the hospital. That right there just blows me away.
From what I've read, she just turned two and has literally spent her whole life in different hospitals. I can't fathom this. I thought my painful nursing woes were bad, but what if I couldn't breastfeed at all because my baby had to be hooked to different tubes and wires? I thought having to wake up in the night several times was horrible and that I'd never get any real sleep, but what if I didn't even have my baby sleeping in the next room over? It's all I can do to not run into Selma's room right now, wake her up and just snuggle her.
What amazes me most about the blogs I was reading is how positive they both seem about the whole situation. Could I be like that? Would I be able to see the silver lining of something so hard? They seem like the funnest family and the baby is so so sweet and cute, I don't know how they do it. I know that everyone has different trials that are suited to them and we all have different strengths and weaknesses to be able to handle them, but wow... Have you ever heard that saying that goes something like "If everyone's trials were hung on a line, you would take yours and I would take mine"? Or, in other words, we may think that everyone else's grass is greener, but when when it all boils down, our grass is just fine!
I know they'll never read this, but their blog had an impact on me tonight. I'm going to try to look at each day in a new light. I'm going to try to smile during a meltdown because I have my baby to hold and take care of. I'm going to stop trying to "keep up with the Joneses" and realize that what we have is just great!! I'm going to try to remember that everyone has different circumstances and that you never really know what's going on in someone's life. I'm going to count my blessings.
5 comments:
Wow Steph, I really enjoyed this post. I had a similar experience and it really does make you step back and realize all that you have and all that you take for granted. It is amazing what other people do with their trials and we sometimes wonder how we would do in that same situation. I definitely not want to trade my trials for anyone else. I think everyone needs to take a look at all of the blessings they have and be more grateful for them.
The people that take a trial and look at it as a growing experience and have a positive attitude make me want to be better.Thank you for your thoughts and the blog address I'm going to take a look at it.
Thanks for sharing the story, it definitely does make you so grateful for everything you have especially your health. Sometimes it takes stories like this to really humble me and make me raelize whats really important. PS were going private so email me your address please :) jendegiulio@hotmail.com
Thanks for sharing :D It was really humbling to see this. SOmetimes life gets so hectic and we just all get caught up in our own lives thinking they are soo hard, but then are shown that they really could be a lot harder & to be happy for what we have. I can't even imagine how hard it is for this family. Hope you are doing good! Selma sure is adorable!
Dont forget to email me your email address so I can invite you to read our blog, now that its private.
Post a Comment