Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Finished Product..

One of my favorite things that we got to do while preparing for little Selma was getting her nursery all together. It was so fun picking everything out and putting everything together gave me something to do too since I sewed the shade, the crib bumpers, the diaper stacker, the basket liner, and the crib skirt.

The hardest part of the whole process was choosing a theme because it seemed so final and definite. I wanted something different but something cute and classy, so hopefully I somewhat pulled that off with a garden-type thing.

I got the idea of spelling Selma's name out with the letters over a colored circle from a Pottery Barn catalog but they had painted the circles and I didn't want to do anything permanent. Luckily, Holly had blogged about her brilliant fabric covered walls so I decided to use extra fabric from sewing her stuff and use that behind the letters.

So easy to put up and simple to take down: you just cut out the fabric, cover it liquid starch, place where you want to hang it, and smooth it out with a spatula. Just make sure that you have a wet washcloth and start from the top down since the liquid starch will run down your wall when you smooth it out :)


Sky hung these shelves from IKEA and we had fun looking for and making little things to put on them


The handkerchief that's framed and hanging is one that Sky's grandma gave to us when she heard what we were naming Selma. Sky got her name from his great-grandma Selma Matilda Olsen Fisher and she was the one that hand crocheted the handkerchief. I love that we have something from her so that we can tell Selma how special her name is and all about her great-great-grandma. We also loved the name because it means "helmet of God," "safe," "secure," and "the fair."


Sky was my little handyman during this whole process and put up these little shelves too since we have this random corner that's pretty much always been just wasted space.


The canvas that's hanging over the crib was done by my super talented friend Shanda, who also did our maternity pictures back in August. It turned out so perfect and we both absolutely love it!! Thanks my friend!!


All in all, we couldn't be happier with how it turned out and love spending time with Selma in there. Now if we can only figure out how to get this little wide-eyed girl..



..on a schedule! Any tips or ideas or what's worked for them? I read Baby Wise before she was born but that was months ago and apparently I don't remember how to do it or something.

Some nights she does awesome and sleeps six hours no problem but then other nights she sleeps sporadically and wakes up every three hours still. I know she's still just brand new, two months tomorrow!, and still learning but it would be so helpful to have her on a schedule where I know when she's going to be hungry most of the time and get her taking scheduled naps since I started working my two afternoons this week, yikes!

Any help would be so appreciated, I feel a little lost!

17 comments:

Kevin and SueAnn said...

The room is so dang cute!! I know I always tell you this but WHEN are you going to visit me at IKEA?

Kami said...

I LOVE IT! You did a great job! It all pulled together so good!

Laci, Jonn, Kaden and Maylee said...

It is so beautiful!! You are very talented!! I would love to learn how to be more crafty!!!

Clark Family said...

Love the room! You are so crafty! I'm so impressed!

Dream come true said...

First of all 3 hours straights sounds amazing! So count your blessings:) I read babywise and I think it has great tips but it isn't really helping my bug I just started the Healthy sleep habits happy child book which has helped my sisters who had really difficult sleepers. I also checked out the the no cry sleep solution book so we will see. I LOVE Your nursery I am sooooo jealous Tatums is a crib and a plain crib skirt:( when I am grown up I want to be just like you!

Jewels said...

I LOVE IT!! Nice work!! Geez, I need to hire you to help me do Madi's room..lol, hers isn't near as girly! :)

Chantel and Brian said...

You did awesome! The nursery is beautiful! It is SO hard to get babies on schedules after they are born. The only advise i have is try to keep her up a little more during the day if she sleeps a lot, that may help during the night. But in all reality, she is still very young, and needs a couple feedings during the night. if she wakes up several times, more than just to eat, you could just try a tinsy bit of water in a bottle and rocking her, and she may start sleeping through that waking when she learns she wont get any food.

Jennifer Fisher said...

Oh my gosh Steph her room is soooo cute. I LOVE IT!!! Hey something happened with my blog so I'm starting over:( Yeah I cried. I don't know what happened. Anyways new blog site is jenandowenfisher.blogspot.com. So frustrating.

Matt and Marci said...

Steph you are amazing! Selma's a spoiled little girl and has the cutest room ever! I really am serious that someday you're going to have to help me decorate a baby's room...someday.

hoLLY said...

I love it Steph! you did a fab job! if and when I have a girl you will totally have to help me! and I love that the furniture doesn't match, thats so hot right now!
Selma is so cute! I love that blanket! it reminds me of a watermelon! yummy~

Jennifer Fisher said...

Nevermind Steph, Heather fixed my blog so it's still the same address.

Craig and Sharelle said...

Wow! That's such a cute nursery. I'm impressed! You put together a little dream room! Maybe that's why I keep having boys...they just don't seem to care about cute things!

Blaine said...

Wow, love the nursery. Good work. I maybe can offer some sleeping advice - I did use some suggestions from "Babywise," - mainly the sleeping and eating routine part, where during and after every feeding you try to keep them awake and playing, and then put them down for a nap. Then at night you feed them and put them right to bed, so it is different than all the other nap times. That is the one thing we always stuck with.

They also suggest letting the baby cry for like 15 minutes (I know that is hard) and then going in to comfort them, but not picking them up etc. I know you probably have already read /tried all of that, but that is what worked the best for George! Good luck! We need to do lunch soon!

The Sayamas said...

Good job! It looks awesome! It makes me want a little girl!

Chelsea said...

How cute! I love the room! I can not wait to start decorating our nursery! You are so creative, Selma is a lucky little girl! :-)

Jen said...

Steph, she is so cute! Hey I just wanted to let you know that we got your invite to the blessing! The birth announcement was super cute! We will be out of town for the blessing :(. Sorry we will miss it! Hope you guys are doing well!

Reggs said...

W-OOOOOOO-OW!!! I might have to try out those fabric circles, so cute!