Saturday, December 6, 2008

Seeking Help for Breastfeeding Woes..

Hopefully this isn't TMI for a blog but anyone who's had experience with breastfeeding, I need your help!! Last night I started getting this pain at like 2:30 in the morning and it's a horrible pressure on my right side. I'm 99.9% positive that it's a clogged duct, man do those things hurt!! I've never gotten one before and I'm petrified of getting mastitis because I have heard horror stories about that.

So far I've tried heating pads, hot showers, taking naps, massaging it, nursing and pumping and they relieve the pain for a little bit but once I stop doing any of those things, it comes right back and I can still feel the pressure of it. I'm so scared that this is going to turn in to mastitis if I don't get it to go away soon. Does anybody have any miraculous treatment for a clogged duct? Or anything to maybe make me feel a little better about it? I really want it to go away but I'm at a loss.. Thanks everybody for listening to my little complaint :)

14 comments:

shayne said...

Hot showers and lots of massaging. Sometimes it takes a few days, especially if you get off schedule. Nurse from that side first for awhile.

Cami said...

I am probably one of your heard horror stories about mastitis.. I would suggest getting on an antibiotic ASAP just in case it is mastitis, mine was mastitis, and I thought it was a clogged duct and was applying heat and taking hot shower and the whole nine yards. Just to find out it was an abscess (mastitis) and the heat was making it worse. Anyway, don't mean to scare you.. just get on an antibiotic :) They will call one in for you, they can also do an ultra sound on it to determine if its a clogged duct or mastitis. Good luck!

The Porter Family said...

Sounds like you are doing everything right, but I agree with Cami. It could already be mastitis so antibiotics are best. Nursing from that side first is best, too, but if it hurts too much, try pumping. It is just important to get milk flowing through there to unclog it. It's so painful and I feel for ya. Nursing is painful enough at first without clogged ducts adding to it. Good luck hon!

Marianne said...

I feel for you! I had issues with that when I nursed Noah, but I was always able to work through it without antibiotics. For me, massaging was the best, especially massaging while the baby is nursing. I would be careful not to pump too much because you don't want to confuse your body by making it think it needs to produce more milk. You know what I mean? You want your body to adjust to your baby's needs. Don't go too long between feedings either. If I ever let me myself get too full with Noah I was in big trouble. Also, I agree that it will take a few days to fully heal and that you should nurse from that side first for awhile. Hang in there! The first little while of breastfeeding is pretty rough, but once you're used to it it's a piece of cake!

Anonymous said...

I was reading everyone's posts just because I want to see what they're saying about everything. It sounds rough. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that, but you are such a strong person. Good luck. I'm praying for you it's not mastitis. My sister in law had it. Blah!

The Sayamas said...

Poor Steph! I have never had a clogged duct, or mastitis. I can't imagine getting it at the beginning with the horrid pain you already have! I'm so sorry. I agree with everyone, just make sure when you're feeding her you massage your breast, especially the spots where the glands feel more full. Also, I totally agree with marianne about over-pumping. That will confuse your body and result in more pain in the long run! (I did that when Eli was in the NICU). Good luck!

Jewels said...

Hey!! I just came across your blog and might I just say...your daughter is absolutely adorable!!! Congrats on becoming parents! :)

As for breastfeeding, heating pads and massaging worked the best for me when I was breastfeeding Madi.

Best of luck and congrats again!!

Heather said...

Oh Steph oh steph oh man! I feel for you! When I was working for Cortney when she was on maternity leave I got clogged ducts like 2 times a week....there is nothing worse, well except mastitis (which I only ended up getting once). I read that stress can cause it which I think was my problem because once I was done working I haven't gotten it since. I know everyone says to massage it, put heat on it, but that never worked for me and they wouldn't prescribe me an antibody unless I had a fever which I only did the one time. This probably sounds weird but sometimes I would just take a nap and then wake up and nurse and it would just suddenly come out(They told me lack of sleep can cause them too). I became best friends practically with the lacation dept at McKay. One other thing they told me to do was to take Lectithin which you get at a health food store. Once I started taking that, I would still get clogged, but it would usually come out within a few hours instead of being clogged from morning til night (I have some if you want it tonight :O). If you need any help call me because seriously I've talked to the lactation people a ton and I know how painful it can be.

Heather said...

Oh P.S. I don't think I've commented on how cute your little Selma is! Congratulations!

Christi said...

Even though I had to stop nursing pretty early on, I got a clogged duct too, and the doc just told me to nurse from that side more frequently and to press really hard while masaging it and pumping at the same time. It seems like a lot to do but it helped. The nurse told me it would hurt to unclog, and it did, but it will go away. Good luck!! Christi

Nisa and Colby said...

Pretty much my advice is what everyone else has said. I feel your pain. I only had one clogged duct one time, but I heard the cold temps can make them worse and bring them on, so make sure to buddle up when you go out. Just wait till she gets teeth and bites you and it breaks the skin. That was the worst week of my life! Hang in there.

The Taylor Family said...

Everyones advice sounds good! I had a clogged duct twice and I know the kind of pain you are in. I think I would just keep doing what you are doing to it. Mine to a good week to really go away and I was scared to death but it happens. Just keep your eye on it so it doesn't turn in to mastitis. Good luck. Happy breastfeeding

Tanya said...

Steph, This is the first chance I have had to look at your blog since Selma was born. What a beautiful baby!!! You done good girl! Advice for that clogged duct? Well just put your breast in the freezer and shut the door. KIDDING. I am so sorry, I felt your pain years ago. Love ya, Tanya

Georgi Family said...

This is going to sound really weird but it works. It worked for me and 3 other people that tried it. You go and buy a cabbage and place the leafs over your....well, your boobie. 8) It really works. You just put it down in your bra. You do it all day and it is certain to work.