Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Week of Firsts..

First of all, I want to say thanks to everybody who gave me advice about the whole clogged duct dilemma, it ended up going away that night so we were very grateful for that.

This past week we had a lot of firsts with sweet Selma.

--First time she was away from her mom. Sky and I went to the temple last Tuesday and left her with my mom for a couple hours. She did really well and we are so lucky that she takes a bottle, I was really worried that she wouldn't.

--First major blowout, also on Tuesday (see above "first," this happened to coincide with us leaving her with my mom. She decided to have her first blowout while being babysat, hopefully that won't affect their willingness to watch her again :)

--First date night since having her. On Friday night, Sky and I went to dinner at La Ferrovia (love it!) and went to see the new James Bond movie together. It's been a long time since we've had a date night just the two of us so it was really nice, even though I missed her like crazy!! Sky's mom watched Selma and they had a great time! Thanks to both of her grandmas for being so willing to play with Selma for us, you guys are great!!

--First photo shoot! This was actually when she was 10 days old but we can pretend that it was last week too :) My good friend, Kami, Mitzi's sister, took her pictures a couple weeks ago and we had a lot of fun! At first Selma was doing great, Kami has quite the set up with her heating pads and heat fans and everything to keep the little babies warm and comfortable. However, once she was out of her clothes for awhile, she wasn't too happy so we had to cut it a little short. We cannot wait to see the pictures, we're so excited!

--First "real" bath. Selma's umbilical stump fell off last week so on Monday we decided to give her her first non-sponge bath. We had my mom come up and help us learn how to give a baby a bath since we were a little unsure as to how exactly. It was definitely a learning curve the first time and I think we've perfected it a little better now.

First Bath:

Good idea:
Washing her hair while not in the sink helped her not to get cold too fast.
Bad idea: Taking her diaper off while holding her under the faucet and washing her hair. My mom was holding her little bum and she decided to "do her business" while I was washing her hair. Enough said :)

Subsequent Baths:

We still wash her hair first, but now we leave her diaper on, works like a charm!

Everything else went pretty well and she seems to really like taking baths. She doesn't cry very much unless we don't do it fast enough and she starts getting a little chilly.


Washing her hair after the little "incident"



After the bath, her dad gave her a little massage with the good smelling bedtime lotion and wrapped her in her towel straight from the dryer, it seemed like she liked that a bit :)



We've also started to get her into a little routine since before last week she liked to be wide awake and alert until 2AM. Now we try to keep her awake in the evening and when she starts falling asleep around 9-ish, we give her a bath to wake her up. Thanks mom for helping us figure out the little routine, it works wonders!! After the bath she stays awake for a little longer and then I feed her around 10:30 or 11 and we have her in bed by 11:15-11:30 which is a ton more sleep for all of us, she's been doing great!

Nursing has also gotten so so much better as well and I couldn't be more grateful, she's latching on so quick now, at least compared to before. I'm so glad I didn't give up cause there were a couple times that I sure felt like it. Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement and advice!!

Stay tuned for Selma's newborn pictures, I'm getting them from Kami in the next couple days, yay!

1 comment:

Georgi Family said...

you guys she is sooo cute! Her eyes are so pretty! I have got to get up and see her.