
Alright all you moms out there.. I need your opinions.. Being a first time mom-to-be, it's hard knowing what're the best things to buy for your baby since I have absolutely no experience. I can just read reviews, ask "Babies R Us" employees and hope for the best.
Well, I got to thinking.. I would much rather hear from people I know and love about different things that they couldn't live without and different things that they definitely could. What I would absolutely love is if you guys had a second if you wouldn't mind answering the couple questions that I've concocted by leaving a comment or something to that effect.
I feel like it's getting down to crunch time with only 3 months left and I would love to feel prepared before the big day so any advice is greatly appreciated!! Also, I don't want this post to turn into a war against opinions or anything because I know everyone has their own thoughts and ideas and I respect and am so grateful for any ideas/advice that is given! :)
1. If you could choose three baby products/items that you couldn't live without, what would they be?
2. Are there any baby products/items that you thought you would need and use all the time but that you didn't end up using very much/at all or didn't like? If so, what are they?
3. Any other advice about purchasing things for baby, using baby stuff, etc., please, lay it on me!! :)
Thanks so much everyone!! I can't wait to hear what you guys think!!
Well, I got to thinking.. I would much rather hear from people I know and love about different things that they couldn't live without and different things that they definitely could. What I would absolutely love is if you guys had a second if you wouldn't mind answering the couple questions that I've concocted by leaving a comment or something to that effect.
I feel like it's getting down to crunch time with only 3 months left and I would love to feel prepared before the big day so any advice is greatly appreciated!! Also, I don't want this post to turn into a war against opinions or anything because I know everyone has their own thoughts and ideas and I respect and am so grateful for any ideas/advice that is given! :)
1. If you could choose three baby products/items that you couldn't live without, what would they be?
2. Are there any baby products/items that you thought you would need and use all the time but that you didn't end up using very much/at all or didn't like? If so, what are they?
3. Any other advice about purchasing things for baby, using baby stuff, etc., please, lay it on me!! :)
Thanks so much everyone!! I can't wait to hear what you guys think!!
13 comments:
hey Steph! You are looking so cute! I thought that it was such a good idea for you to ask these questions! I could have used people's advice too!
Things I CAN NOT live without....
-BOPPY. I loved it! Especially when nursing
-Diaper genie. I still use this baby and it rocks!
-Wipe Warmer for the first few months. Carrera hated the cold wipes and being changed so this made the process alot easier. But I don't use it now.
-Playtex Ventaire Bottles. I tried a few bottles and these really semmed to help with Carrera not getting alot of air.
Things I CAN live WITHOUT
All the little tubs you put in the tub. She just liked laying in the tub with me holding her and playing. And they took up a ton of space for using them just 3 or 4 times.
And a baby moniter. I could hear just fine without the baby monitor. And if I worried about every little sound she made I would never have slept.
Hope this helps! P.s. I never did get a bumbo but everyone that I have talked to really likes them!
I'll follow Amanda's outline,
Things I CAN NOT live without...
-Bouncer.
-Diaper Genie.BEWARE, don't get the Diaper Champ, it's nice because you can use your own bags, but it smells more and is really hard to change the bag when it's fun. Believe me, it's worth paying for the refills.
-Swing. The motion helps them fall asleep.
Things I CAN live WITHOUT...
-Activity Center. Owen never liked being stuck in there, he got bored quickly.
-Cheap diapers. I know it's tempting to get the store brand diapers, but it's not worth it. Just buy the good brands, Pampers, Huggies or Luvs. You won't have as many poopies going up her back.
-Baby tub. What a crock. Just bathe them in the sink or tub. They only stay in those for like a month, then you have to store it. And don't get the mesh bouncer kinds either, it keeps them too much out of the water and they get cold.
The only other thing that I didn't get that I thought would be nice is a rocking chair. I rock Owen at church and would love to do it at home. Hope this helps. Good luck with the next few months, this is the best part by far. Even with the backaches and heartburn. Don't worry, it'll pass soon.
Hey Steph, Here's my opinion on baby needs. Before I had Owen I wasn't really sure on the things that I needed. It took me forever to figure out what swing to get and I ended up buying a pretty expensive swing the problem with the swing that I bought was it is too awkward to move so later on I ended up buying another swing which was a travel swing that you can easily move around. It was nice to have a bouncer at first, but I don't use it anymore and Owen is 6 months. So you would probably be fine just buying a swing. Heathers swing was nice because you could lock it so that it didn't move. I love my boppy. I didn't use it for the first couple of weeks and when I finally decided to use it I thought I was crazy for not using it earlier. I never use birp cloths I have some, but I've never use them. I just bought a bunch of the cloth diapers and use those for a bib(when I give Owen a bottle,but I do use bibs for when I give him cereal) and a birp cloth. Never used my wipe warmer I wished I never opened it so I could of taken it back. I received 3 bathtubs and I took those all back and bought a $5 sponge. On bottles and diapers you'll figure out quick on what you like. I like pampers and bottles I like the Avent. Binkies I just bought whatever, but I've stuck with the sameones that I started him out with. With clothes I bought alot of newborn and 0-3 months clothes and I wish I hadn't because he grew out of them pretty fast. I wouldn't waste any money on shoes their cute, but I just think for babies their uncomfortable. I'm sure I'm forgetting somethings. Oh if your planning on coming back to work get a good breastpump. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Good luck. Jen
I love my G diapers! I use them during the day when I'm just at home, and then I use disposables when I go run errands and overnight. They come with some flushable inserts that are really neat, but they are expensive. They run about .30 a diaper, whereas disposables run anywhere from .05 (store brand) to .20 for Huggies. I use cloth inserts in mine that I bought online for about $3 each. He goes through like 4-5 a day because you have to change them more often. I put them in a bucket, then wash them every day or so in the washer. It's not bad, but I would wait until baby girl Chugg is 2-3 months old when they don't poop as much. Here is the insert website:
http://www.babyworks.com/catalog/product.asp?dept%5Fid=14&pf%5Fid=1417
They are actually supposed to go on top of other cloth diapers for extra protection, but I just use them by themselves. Going cloth is more expensive in the beginning, but they last through all your kids, so they definitely save money over time. Plus, it's better for the planet!
Anyway, sorry for the huge comment, but I have a ton of information about how to wash them and what detergent to use, so just email me if you decide to use them. kristinsuefisher@yahoo.com
Okay, that link didn't work, copy and paste this one.
http://www.babyworks.com/catalog/
product.asp?dept%5Fid=14&pf%5Fid=1415
Ok, so I do think everyone has their own opinions so you have to decide for yourself.
Things I could not live without:
1. My rocking chair. We paid good money for it and it is worth every penny!!!
2. An activity mat. I know someone else said it was a waste of money but Cade loved it and it has kept the girls entertained for hours!!
3. A&D. I love this stuff! All my kids have had really sensitive skin and so if you put it on every time you change their diapers, they don't get diaper rash, which makes them fussy! Also, if they do get diaper rash use triple paste! It is way more expensive but totally worth it! It can clear it up in just a couple of diaper changes!
4. Ok, so I know you said 3 things but I thought of another one! Gas drops! I would die, (and so would my kids for that matter) without them. Also, it is not worth spending the extra money for the name brand. The cheap Walmart kind are the best! The name brand ones are pink and can stain clothes and don't work any better! If your baby is really fussy, there is some stuff called gripe water that was super helpful too!
Things I could totally live without:
Diaper Genie. I think it is such a pain!! I didn't have one with Cade and somebody gave me one for the twins. I think two babies create too many diapers! I have to change it too often and it is more of a pain then it's worth. I would rather just walk the diapers outside to my garbage! I have one I am getting rid of if you want it. Free of charge!
It's hard to decide what you want and what you would use because every baby is different! Good luck shopping!
Ok, so I didn't read everyone's because I got sick of it so I hope I don't repeat.
4 things I can't live without:
1. Spray n Wash stain stick. Nothing gets baby poop stains out better! Treat now-wash later! :)
2. Bumbo- I don't actually have one but oh man I wish I did. Eli is ever content to just lay there. He'd rather be sitting. So maybe I would say an exersaucer with lots of toys would work as well.
3. Snugli. I use mine like every day. I can clean, go on walks, do anything I need and just pop Eli in there and he loves to be moving around and looking at everything. I used it tons with Kaemon as well.
4. This thing that straps onto the
handle of the baby's carseat and it cushions it so it doesn't kill your arm.
I can live without-
a pack n play, baby bath that's too bulky, & cheap diapers.
So I read some comments about the diaper genie/diaper champs. I have had both. DIaper genies suck. the refills are like 15 dollars and they fill up so fast it's impossible to keep up with. My diaper champ is great because it holds more. It's also so much easier to close, you can do it all one handed! No weird twisting and cutting. I have found it doesn't stink if I spray it with lysol and let it air out for a few mins before I put a new bag in. Living in a condo you will definitely want one of these. Rory's cousin got a really cool one at her shower that looked better than a genie and a champ, it was from babies r us. I would reccomend that one.
Ok, so I didn't read everyone's because I got sick of it so I hope I don't repeat.
4 things I can't live without:
1. Spray n Wash stain stick. Nothing gets baby poop stains out better! Treat now-wash later! :)
2. Bumbo- I don't actually have one but oh man I wish I did. Eli is ever content to just lay there. He'd rather be sitting. So maybe I would say an exersaucer with lots of toys would work as well.
3. Snugli. I use mine like every day. I can clean, go on walks, do anything I need and just pop Eli in there and he loves to be moving around and looking at everything. I used it tons with Kaemon as well.
4. This thing that straps onto the
handle of the baby's carseat and it cushions it so it doesn't kill your arm.
I can live without-
a pack n play, baby bath that's too bulky, & cheap diapers.
So I read some comments about the diaper genie/diaper champs. I have had both. DIaper genies suck. the refills are like 15 dollars and they fill up so fast it's impossible to keep up with. My diaper champ is great because it holds more. It's also so much easier to close, you can do it all one handed! No weird twisting and cutting. I have found it doesn't stink if I spray it with lysol and let it air out for a few mins before I put a new bag in. Living in a condo you will definitely want one of these. Rory's cousin got a really cool one at her shower that looked better than a genie and a champ, it was from babies r us. I would reccomend that one.
I kind of skimmed everyone else's comments, but here is mine. Keep in mind like mentioned from others, every parent is different, but more than that, every baby is different.
Things I loved for my baby were gas relief drops since he had bad tummy aches at first. My boppy to help him lay against, but especially for nursing at first. Baby lotions since UT is SO dry...you can use generic, it's just as good. I also loved my exersaucer from evenflow. Parker played in it for months and it gave me a chance to clean with him happy and safe. I also LOVED having a rocking chair and don't know what I would have done without it. Also, my pack-n-play. I have used it SO many times, at first I put it in the living room so that I could change his diaper in it without walking much right after delivery. Lifesaver. Also I found the best product for bad diaper rash was Aquifer. It's like an ointment in the creams section, not baby section. It looks like neosporin. My pediatrician recommened and it worked miracles.
Things I could live without:
Baby powder. Never used it! Special baby laundry detergent like Dreft. It's nice, but expensive. Regular detergent was just fine!
For advise: do your own thing. Don't let Mom's and mom-in-laws and sisters, etc pressure you buy anything specific becuase they are SURE it works. You'll waste money. Try things on your own, use what you like.
Ever baby is so different. I was lucky with a lot of the more expensive baby gear because I borrowed it from my sister. I could never get Liz to stay in the swing very long, but she like the bouncer ok. Which makes me glad I didn't invest in a swing because they're not cheap. So my advice is to borrow what you can from family or friends (at least to try it out) and then you will know what baby Chugg likes.
I tried to come up with some new advice since everyone has already told you about most of the good stuff. But I do want to add my vote to the following products: A/D cream (original),Wal-Mart gas drops (twice the size and half the price) and the Diaper Genie II (refills $5 at Wal-Mart). I also highly recommend good diapers. They save in the long run because you don't loose as many outfits from the explosive diapers. I like Pampers Swaddlers for newborns and Huggies after that. Buy in bulk at Costco or Sams Club.
Now for some more things I love.
-The thing that goes in the chair seat to support the babies head. The hospital made me take it out to take Liz home because, "it wasn't part of the original car seat so it hasn't been tested for safety." But I soon put it back in because her head was always flopping around. I still use it so she can sleep comfy in the car.
-Since baby Chugg will be born when it is chilly outside I highly recommend the car seat covers that can zip open. It keeps them snug and warm.
-If you have room for a high chair great. If not, I just got one of the little booster seats with a tray that you strap to a kitchen chair. It was like $12 and takes up very little room. It's perfect for her now and later I can remove the tray and it becomes just a booster seat.
Things to forget..
-the baby tub. I used mine about 3 times.
-baby shoes. I got a bunch as gifts and haven't used them once. I tried but she just kicks them off.
-Bassinet. I would borrow one or just use a portable crib since they only stay in there a few months.
Hope this helps! You look great!
Hey Steph! Here's my love's and my hate's.....
Love it...
-BOPPY: still use it to this day and have ever since Aidan was born.
-BUMBO SEAT: right now this is probably my favorite thing. I have one that has a tray on it so I can set toys on it. I use it all the time. I put him on the counter in the bathroom while I'm getting ready, on the counter while I'm cooking, or at the dinner table while were eating (never unattended though :O) He likes being up where I am watching what I'm doing.
-LANSINOH BREAST CREAM: it will save your nippies when you breast feed at the beginning. Everyone always warned me about sore, cracked nips. I used this stuff every time I fed him and never had problems (sorry if that's too much info, but it helps)
-Other things I love SWING, BOUNCER, PLAYMAT, EXERSAUCER, JUMPEROO, PACK N' PLAY with the Bassinet on it. Aidan only used some of these things for a couple of months, but when something keeps them entertained so you can get stuff done, I think it's worth having it.
-One thing I did when buying stuff, especially some of the bigger items, is I made sure it was gender neutral so I wouldn't have to buy it again. I have friends that bought pink car seats, swings, bouncers, ect. then when they had a boy they had to get all new stuff...like a boy wants to swing in a pink swing :O)
Hate it's....
-NEWBORN OR 0-3 MONTHS SWEATERS, HOODIES, BULKY CLOTHES: this probably sounds kind of weird, but I bought Aidan some way cute sweaters and hoodies and I think he wore each of them once, some not at all cause I would put them on him and it was like too much. Babies are so wobbly and can't hold their heads up so the clothes just end up engulfing them. I always felt like I was pulling them down from his face. Also I would maybe buy a couple really cute outfits and then just go for comfort for the rest. When it's cold outside and sick season you don't take them out much anyways, I had tons of outfits that went to waste. Would have rather spent the money on bigger clothes (6-12 month) that people would see him in.
-LOTS OF BLANKETS: I registered for a bunch of blankets and got a lot of them, plus I crocheted (sp??) a few too, he uses like 1 or 2, the rest sit in his closet (maybe we'll use them more later). I would always see cute, soft blankets and want to buy them, now I wished I would have taken some of them back and got something else.
-BABY MONITOR: especially if your baby's room is next to yours. We use one for Aidan but only because his room is on the opposite side of the house and sometimes I still even end up turning it off because they are soooo loud. It picks up every little sound. I have the base sitting on Aidan's dresser which is on the opposite side of the room than his crib and I can hear him breathing. And when the air conditioner comes on it is so loud. When I turn off the monitor and he cries I can hear him just fine. Now that I'm typing this I don't know why I turn it on each night in the first place...I'm a dork!
I hope that helps, I tried to list some of the things I was really bugged that I wasted money on. Every baby is different too so it's kind of hard to say what you will like and won't like....I liked using my baby tub and I used it for a few months too, Aidan didn't like laying flat in the tub on a sponge until he was like 4 months old, it freaked him out and he would scream the whole time.
Hope that helps :O)
Steph you are such a freaking cute preggo woman! I have briefly read through everyone else's comments and I know I will be repeating a bit, but I will try not to.
Things I can NOT live without:
~Diaper Genie II-the regular Diaper Genie sucks, but the second one is awesome! And like Kelly said, refills are $5 at Wal-Mart (and Babies-R-Us, actually).
~Breast pads-this may be way too much info, but these things are great, especially when your milk comes in. They save you from a lot of soaked shirts and embarrassment (ask Breklyn for her story...).
~Binky's, pacifiers, whatever you want to call them, if baby Chugg takes them, USE THEM! They are such lifesavers.
~A breast pump-maybe yet again TMI, but I am known for that sometimes....anyone can tell you that a pump will save you a LOT of pain and are nice to have so you can pump some backup milk so you are not stuck at home to nurse all the time.
Things I CAN live without:
~I completely agree with everyone else about losing the baby tubs. Kaden learned to hate baths because he was always FREEZING in those stupid tubs.
~Johnson & Johnson lotions. Hopefully you won't have this issue, but they dried out Kaden's skin really, really bad. His doctor said that with the dry UT climate, Johnson & Johnson is not the best option, even though it smells yummy. I use Aveeno for Babies now and it is MUCH better. So, you give up the scented stuff, but that dries up skin more anyway. :)
I hope this stuff helps! There is for sure a lot of advice out there to sift through. I am glad you are reading Babywise, though. It is such an amazing book and I am a HUGE fan of it! You are going to be a great mom, Steph. No worries. It will all come with time. :)
Hi. I know I'm a totally random person. I thought your blog was cute, I don't even know who's I was on that we commonly know. I love your question about baby products!! What mom-to-be doesn't have a thousand gatrillion of them! I have a six month old little girl and I have often asked myself what I would say if I were posed such a question. Things I couldn't live without. Forget spending money on things you don't ABSOLUTELY need, because you'll need the money down the road. If you get a boppy for a shower, great. Don't buy one. I use mine as a door stop. It was uncomfortable and cumbersome while nursing. The diaper genie, I love, but I don't think I would have bought it. A wipe warmer is completely unnecessary! My husband almost went out and bought one cuz it broke his heart every time we changed her little diaper. But seriously, she only had issues for a couple of days, a week tops! It's twenty bucks that you could use on getting good diapers!!! Don't use too much lotion, it actually dries their skin out and causes cradle cap or dry scalp. Baby powder does the same thing. I use Johnson's no more rash cream almost every time I diaper her. Her little bum never gets rashes!!! A play mat is a must, however! They're not very expensive and don't be afraid of kid to kid! It's the best store ever!!! A rocking chair is also a must if you want that precious one on one time with your little one. Get a wooden one. The glider rockers have those sliders underneath and babies can get their little hands caught! Sorry if I overstepped my bounds, not even knowing you and whatever, but it's so nice to save money and not have all that random stuff to store. Good luck with everything!!!
Post a Comment