
That’s right, back to the OR for me. As some of you might know, last summer I had a Bartholin’s cyst (TMI perhaps, but oh well) that was causing me a lot of pain. Of course, at the time, Circle of Life couldn’t get me in to see a doctor and not just the PA immediately so I had to wait a couple days to see Dr. Housel (who is my regular doctor now, awesome guy). I got an examination done and he admitted me for same day emergency surgery at Davis Hospital.
That was an experience in itself since the OR was a few hours behind so my surgery that was supposed to take place at 6pm didn’t happen until 11 or 12 that night, fun stuff. This happened last June and he marsupialized the cyst to make a permanent hole (google marsupialization of a Bartholin’s cyst if you’re really curious) but I guess pregnancy puts a lot of pressure down there (go figure? Hehe) and the hormones make your body out of whack so the cyst returned yesterday, love it.
Let’s just say yesterday was not the best day so I called Circle of Life at 8AM sharp, right when they opened, to see if Dr. Housel could see me and they squeezed me in half and hour later. I get into the exam room and they have all these little scalpels and gauze and tubes and all that jazz and while I’m waiting for my doctor I started getting just a little freaked out since Sky didn’t come with me to this appointment. Luckily, or maybe not, after the examination, Dr. Housel said that I would need surgery again like last time because if he just cut it open it would come back apparently. It was kind of a relief because I was not prepared for him to just cut me open in a little exam room, yikes! Hearing that you have to get surgery that same day makes my emotions go crazy what with being scared and all, I think I did a pretty good job of hiding my scared tears though. Time to be a tough girl.
So, I’m scheduled for surgery today at 4 at the surgical center downstairs in the Circle of Life since today’s their surgery day there, which means I don’t have to go to a hospital and wait so I guess that’s a positive thing. Also on a happy note, he did a quick ultrasound and there was our cute little baby bouncing all around. I can’t wait to start feeling it moving, I think that’ll give me a little more peace of mind :)
On a sad note, I’ll be going under anesthesia so I can’t eat or drink anything til after my surgery and as all of you moms or moms-to-be know, not eating anything the whole day while being pregnant is not something you want to do. Bleh. I know the doctors wouldn’t do anything that could hurt the baby but going under anesthesia being pregnant makes me a little nervous. Plus, last year the only thing to make the pain subside after the procedure was Toradol and that’s a big no-no while you’re pregnant. Needless to say, I’m getting a little anxious/nervous to get this done. I’m ready though because I felt so much better last year after I had the surgery once the pain from the actual surgery went away.
So wish me luck!! If there are any pictures from this fun day, I’ll post them later since this post is pictureless and since I’ll have time to spare tomorrow since last year I wasn’t supposed to walk around or do anything the next day. Visitors are welcome anytime! :)
That was an experience in itself since the OR was a few hours behind so my surgery that was supposed to take place at 6pm didn’t happen until 11 or 12 that night, fun stuff. This happened last June and he marsupialized the cyst to make a permanent hole (google marsupialization of a Bartholin’s cyst if you’re really curious) but I guess pregnancy puts a lot of pressure down there (go figure? Hehe) and the hormones make your body out of whack so the cyst returned yesterday, love it.
Let’s just say yesterday was not the best day so I called Circle of Life at 8AM sharp, right when they opened, to see if Dr. Housel could see me and they squeezed me in half and hour later. I get into the exam room and they have all these little scalpels and gauze and tubes and all that jazz and while I’m waiting for my doctor I started getting just a little freaked out since Sky didn’t come with me to this appointment. Luckily, or maybe not, after the examination, Dr. Housel said that I would need surgery again like last time because if he just cut it open it would come back apparently. It was kind of a relief because I was not prepared for him to just cut me open in a little exam room, yikes! Hearing that you have to get surgery that same day makes my emotions go crazy what with being scared and all, I think I did a pretty good job of hiding my scared tears though. Time to be a tough girl.
So, I’m scheduled for surgery today at 4 at the surgical center downstairs in the Circle of Life since today’s their surgery day there, which means I don’t have to go to a hospital and wait so I guess that’s a positive thing. Also on a happy note, he did a quick ultrasound and there was our cute little baby bouncing all around. I can’t wait to start feeling it moving, I think that’ll give me a little more peace of mind :)
On a sad note, I’ll be going under anesthesia so I can’t eat or drink anything til after my surgery and as all of you moms or moms-to-be know, not eating anything the whole day while being pregnant is not something you want to do. Bleh. I know the doctors wouldn’t do anything that could hurt the baby but going under anesthesia being pregnant makes me a little nervous. Plus, last year the only thing to make the pain subside after the procedure was Toradol and that’s a big no-no while you’re pregnant. Needless to say, I’m getting a little anxious/nervous to get this done. I’m ready though because I felt so much better last year after I had the surgery once the pain from the actual surgery went away.
So wish me luck!! If there are any pictures from this fun day, I’ll post them later since this post is pictureless and since I’ll have time to spare tomorrow since last year I wasn’t supposed to walk around or do anything the next day. Visitors are welcome anytime! :)
11 comments:
good luck Steph! hope everything goes smoothly!
I'm sorry, why does all the crappy stuff have to happen while your pregnant??? Shouldn't you be blissfully happy the entire time?
Wow! Good thing you are so strong. Hopefully everything is okay and you feel better fast. Maybe we should do pizza and hang out then! Let me know if you need help with anything!
Steph! That is so terribel! I miss you tons, so maybe I will have to come visit you - Let me know how you are doing and I hope your recovery goes ok. That has got to be hard to be pregnant and have something like this happen! Just wanted to know we are thinking about you!
Steph I hope everything went well and that you are doing great. As if pregnancy isn't hard enough on your body, right? Let me know if you need anything.
aw you poor thing, Hope your surgery went smoothly and that you recover very quick. Let me know if there is anything I can do for ya.
You poor thing! That sucks so badly! I hope everything went well and that you feel better fast. Call me if you need anything...we are really good at buying pizza for people who need dinner. ;)
Good luck...I hope everything goes well! You're great!
I'm sorry Steph. That is so hard to be pregnant and have to worry about other health issues. I sort of know how you feel, because I apparently get kidney stones with pregnancy. I have no idea what your cyst is like, but I just know it's harder to deal with stuff like that when you're pregnant. I hope that all is well with you now.
Hello my prego friend! I hope you are feeling lots better. I am sorry about lunch today.. I hate friday cuz nobody is here to cover :( and then they all leave. But like always, love the blog. Oh and tell your baby girl I say hello.. hee hee
Hey Steph! I'm really sorry about your surgery - I hope everything is going good! and I'm so excited you are prego! How far along are you now?
Post a Comment