Saturday, May 23, 2009

I'll Have Me Some-a That!

"Remember when your mom used to drop you off at the movies with a jar of jam and a spoon?"
Well, Joey from Friends might, but I don't.. I've never been a big jam fan, or a fan of any sauce/condiment for that matter (except fry sauce, I love fry sauce, not sure why). Sky, however, loves jam so when I spotted a huge thing of delicious looking strawberries at Costco the other day I decided to make us some good ole' homemade jam!

After pre-washing all of the freezer jam containers:


Cutting and mashing the strawberries and combining them with two times as much sugar (yikes):


Adding the pectin and letting it sit:


We got ourselves 15-8 oz. containers of scrumdiddlyumptious strawberry freezer jam:


And one satisfied mama! (Who never got ready for the day in this picture, enjoy!)


I have to admit that when I was making it that jam might be growing on me.. After all, the mouth-watering aroma of strawberries and sugar, picture a stawberry daiquiri if you will, can only keep you at bay for so long! I'm thinking a homemade roll and jam party might be in order, do you have to have a special occasion for that?'

Now on to our long weekend with no big plans.. I will tell you one thing I'm for sure doing Memorial Day and that's watching Jon & Kate + 8's season premiere, anybody else going to be glued to the TV for that?

9 comments:

The DeGiulio's said...

YUM!!! I love homemade strawberry jam, its my absolute fav. I was at Costco today and I almost bought a big container of strawberries they looked so yummy. Nice job!

Richard and Michelle said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE home made strawberry jam. I need to make me some of that!

Chelsea said...

That looks delicious! I want to try making homemade freezer jam do you have the recipe, or I can just look it up. I suppose. I LOOOOVE Jon and Kate plus 8... I have seen every episode.. my tivo is set to record them all! I just hope the rumors are not true... ha ha.

Chantel and Brian said...

I LOVE strawberry freezer jam. My grandma always made it growing up and I have fond memories of it. Looks delicious!

Reggs said...

Oh break me off a piece of that, please! I'm thinking a rhodes roll with real butter and some of your jam. A bread and jam party, SIGN ME UP.

P.S. your blog about Selma growing up was so cute. I love the pic of her with the huge gummy smile! Before you know it, she'll be going to college. :D

hoLLY said...

yummy!! good job!

Rory & Lori said...

Yum! I love homemade jam!

Yes, I did watch Jon and Kate plus 8. I cried. I'm so mad about the whole thing. Jon always reminded me and my fam of Rory, and I used to think he was such a good guy but he is so different now, don't you think? I have always felt a little bad for him because Kate can be so mean but I think he was really mean last night. I hate how they seem to be using this drama to get good ratings. I guess what else ca they do? Like Kate said, there is no turning back now, they can't just go back to a normal life!

Haha, ok I feel like a major nerd right now. But that's like the only show I watch right now so I'm kind of into it!

Linsey said...

Hey Steph! It is so much fun to be in the blogging world now but I am a little overloaded with all of the new blogs I have now found of our old ward! I can't believe you have a baby that I have never seen! She is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh my heck, I just got done making a bunch and I used a new type of pectin and it set up incredibly! You know how some freezer jam stays pretty runny unless you keep it in the freezer? This kind didn't!! I loved it! We made triple berry, strawberry mango, strawberry blueberry, mango peach, and on and on... we had a hay day.

PS, I just didn't comment on your other posts, but Selma has grown like a weed! Oh my heavens! And you are skinny and yes I still would LOVE to purchase a baby cacoon from you. Let me know what you get figured out from that. Shoot me an e-mail so I can send you my phone number etc... kpoorte25@hotmail.com

Thanks, Steph!!