Monday, May 11, 2009

Decisions.. Decisions..

Okay, so I am totally overwhelmed.. Thank you guys so much for all of your feedback about this little number:


It made my decision a lot easier and I did go ahead and start my own little Etsy shop, I'm not going to reveal the name yet though because I haven't gotten it quite ready and need to post some pictures before I want people to see it :)

People have been asking how much I would charge to make a car-seat cover and after much research and comparing of what other people are selling them for (it seems like most are between $75-$100) I've decided to do custom ones for $65 with designer fabrics (Amy Butler and such) being $7 more due to the fabric being a bit more pricey.. I've really gone back and forth a lot on this because it seems like a lot but they take a little while to make plus cost of materials..

Once my Etsy shop is actually up and running, I thought that if people ordered from me and mentioned my blog that I would give a $10 discount for the first little while which would make a custom car-seat cover $55 or $62 for a designer one, not too shabby, right?

Other things that I'm going to be putting up on the site: matching car-seat straps & headrests for the carseats, matching car-seat canopies (I figured that I would offer a "bundle" type offer if you purchase a car-seat cover that you could get a matching car-seat canopy/straps/headrest for a cheaper price than buying them separately), nursing covers with the boning/pocket/parachute buckle-type strap, and I'm debating about posting baby slings on there as well, I made one for a friend and it was a lot of fun making it!

Some of you mentioned wanting to know about how to make one yourselves and I would love to help! I've been contemplating making my own pattern to sell because the one that I bought offline was really confusing and I had to modify it quite a bit to make the one I made.. I'm going to buy some butcher paper this week to mark one out and start typing away to get the instructions made and I'll be selling that on my Etsy shop as well.. I'll probably list that for $10, the pattern I bought was $14.25, and I'm hoping mine will be quite a bit easier to understand and follow with more pictures, etc..

So check back for more info about that stuff (if you're interested :) I should have more things by the end of the week, thanks for supporting me and making me feel like I can really do this, you guys are the best!!




Also on the home-front, and this is what has been keeping me so busy this past week, I started my own website/business.. I don't know if you knew but I play the piano and love it and have decided to start teaching lessons! Some people have asked me if I would be willing to teach their kids so I finally made the decision to buckle down, dive in and do it!

I'm going to be teaching from my mom's house in east Layton starting in June.. In the summer the lessons will be in the mornings and come fall, they'll be after school.. If you know anybody who would be interested, I teach beginner through intermediate beginning at age 5, have them visit my website if you need more info :) (click picture below)


It's not 100% the way I want it (i.e. everytime you click a link it opens a new window, hopefully I can figure that out) but it'll do for now!

I also have played for weddings in the past and thought maybe I'd throw that in there too because it's something I've really enjoyed!! Sorry this post has been one big "Steph Advertisement" of sorts but this is what's been going on in my life lately, hopefully something more interesting will come soon :)



29 comments:

Matt and Marci said...

Steph - way to shoot for the stars! Good luck with your new adventures/businesses!

cheeks said...

you're such an entrepreneur! That's awesome, i think you'll do great with your little etsy shop! Can wait to browse! :)

The Porter Family said...

Yay! Good luck with your new business! Will you be doing purses as well??

Christy said...

What a neat idea!! How cute! I think you'll do great making those :). Glad to have found your blog - Selma is getting so big. Take care!

Carrie said...

Wow you are a busy little bee! Way to go I think it will work out great for you, you're very talented!

Brett and Lex said...

That's awesome! I want one so... promise your prices won't go up too much in the next few years - I won't have a baby until then! :)

Kevin and SueAnn said...

Steph- I knew once you started with the digi scrapping you would be amazing at it, I LOVE your logo and blog background, so cute!! If I ever really have a baby I am totally going to be your #1 customer! Also, I have a little present for you, I wonder when I will see you next!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Way to go Steph! Good luck with the business. I can't wait to see all your lovely creations.

Devin & Kailie said...

That's awesome! I'm sure I will be buying something from you in the future!!

Mitzi said...

You little entrepreneur you! And let me just say that the sling you made me seriously rocked! Not like I’m surprised because you are the sewing queen! You could also put all the fun things you made in Selma's room on there too (like the bed stuff and diaper holder) or maybe even some of the amazing dresses you made her.

Jackie Norris said...

Good for you! You are going to be incredibly successful because you are SO talented! I'm excited for when your shop is up, can't wait to see all of your beautiful creations! You're amazing!

Heather said...

Wow! Way to go with all the sewing projects! Maybe I should have just taken sewing lessons from you! I would probably have 10 quilts made by now instead of 1 unfinished one sitting in a box under my bed :O) Good luck with the etsy shop, maybe you should do toddler carseats too (hint hint).

hoLLY said...

good for you steph!! what a wonderful blessing that you are so talented and I will for sure be hiting you up on some new baby covers and such when #2 in on the way!!! you rock!!

Chelsea said...

Can not wait to buy the pattern or just get the car cover seat! I LOVE it! My sister in law is doing a thing for destination homes where people will be walking through homes in Farmington and there will be Vendors there selling/advertising things.... let me know if you are interested!

Kristin said...

Good luck with your business Steph, I bet it will do great. I am already sold on buying a pattern!
Thanks, can't wait to see what you make.

Kami said...

You go girlie!!! You will do GREAT!

Sean, Megan, Audrey, and Adam said...

You are amazing! That is so awesome that you can sew like that and to pursue it as a business is a big step. But I think you will be successful, good luck. Thanks! For the recommendation on Obgyn. I will definitely look into to seeing him, because I hear the circle of life and Doctors there are pretty good.

The DeGiulio's said...

That is so exciting about selling your stuff. It is so stinking cute! Did you take the family in stress with dr. chole merril? She seems really nice but ya I was like ok are you serious but thats good to know the assignments are easy. How are the tests?

The DeGiulio's said...

I hope her tests arent too bad!? My first one is next weekend. I've started the assessments they have taken me like an hour each, sheesh I thought they would be quick. An A out of the class would be fantastic, Im just hoping to at least get a C.

The DeGiulio's said...

Haha exactly! Thats all I care about is getting a C and being done! I submitted 5 assessments and its taken me 5 hours! Holy moly they are super time consuming. How are you liking the gym? I usually stop going when I get really busy so I havent been at all this week.

Jewels said...

Wow! Look at you go!! Conrats on starting your own business..that's awesome! :)

The Froerer's said...

You go girl- hope you get some bood business!

Reggs said...

NICE, steph!! I would totally stalk your etsy shop, let me know how it all turns out. The bag is SUPA cute. Wishing you lots of success, sister!

Danika said...

Wow, I wish I was that talented! Good luck with everything!

StuandSom said...

Hey i had an idea and I dunno if you would wanna but you could make those way cute grocery cart seat covers. I know they could sale. just an idea!
your stuff is so cute I love it!! maybe one day when we have a little baby we could purchase some of this stuff!! Hope to see ya at church on sunday!

The Sayamas said...

We would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if you guys moved by us. You should go out and look. But if you decide to wait until next year that will be good too since that is when the next phase will start. Also, I know there are some pretty cheap lots by ours if you wanted to go that route :)

Rory and I were talking, we wish you started piano at age 3 because we would totally put Kaemon in this fall. I just hope you're still teaching in a couple years! :)

The Sayamas said...

Cool! I will see how KAemon is when he turns 3. I think he would love it, he LOVES to learn and he loves music.

You would be right by us in the next phase, the only problem is that I'm worried that if you wait too long the lots will be more expensive because they are right next to the new gold course. You guys should just walk through the model and talk to Hiedi, she is the one who is helping us and she is really nice. They are very willing to work with you. I know we got one of the last lots available in our phase so you could probably get a lot but they wouldn't be able to start building for a while. I think like in June is when she said they were going to start developing it. I hope you guys move there! Seriously it would be perfect!

Sale and Jaimee said...

Good job steph! You will be quite busy! I will pass on the good word about your sites. Good Luck!

Benjamin and Mollie said...

Stephie! You are the coolest for real. I LOVE your talents! I want to make a kid just so I can get one of those darling car seat covers, lol!! Can't wait to see your Etsy shop :) Thanks for the comment too. Looks like you guys are keeping busy & having fun!