Monday, January 19, 2009

What a Bummer..

So a couple days before Christmas Eve I was in our closet getting some things and noticed that the carpet felt wet. Since Sky had just gotten out of the shower I asked him if he knew what the water was from and he said that he thought that it was probably because he had just been standing there and we didn't really think much of it, even though it felt a little more wet than it probably should have, so we went on our merry way for the day.

The next day I was sitting in bed and looked over to our closet and see this:


I tell Sky and we figure out that this is actually what we were feeling the water from, a leak!! Apparently our upstairs neighbor was doing some renovations (we both own our condos so we're in charge of all that kind of stuff) and must have hit a pipe or something because it was leaking into our ceiling.


I don't know if you can really tell in this picture but it's of the ceiling buckling down a little bit close to the corner. You can mostly tell just from the shadows.

Anywho, it was not fun considering it was the day before Christmas Eve and I hate things going unfinished when something needs to be done in the house, I guess I'm kind of a freak about mold growing and such. Sky, my hero, went and talked to the maintenance guy and he finally got ahold of our upstairs neighbor since he rents his condo out and isn't currently living there and got him to turn off his water and fix the leak. By this time we had already left for the day to get stuff done so we were out while all this was taking place.

When we got home that night, this is what we came home to:



Apparently they didn't get to the leak fast enough because it had gotten enough water in there to stretch the paint out and pool in our ceiling, blah!


Our maintenance guy told us not to mess with anything for a little bit until after we made sure the leak was fixed so once we were sure it was, Sky poked a hole in our ceiling so we could drain the water out, there was a pretty good amount in there. He then pulled our carpets up so they would dry and got them put back down last week.

And so it's been for the past few weeks.. I haven't been setting a foot in our room without slippers on and only then when I need to grab clothes or climb in bed, other than that, I'm outta there because it stresses me out to see the wall like that. Now we've just got to clean the carpets and hire somebody to fix the drywall in the wall and ceiling.

Luckily, the guy upstairs has to pay for all of it since it wasn't our fault, he's a pretty nice guy Sky says. I just need to find somebody to do the job. Does anybody know who we would call to take care of a ceiling and drywall stuff? Any tips are appreciated! :)

6 comments:

Cami said...

There is a guy in my ward that does DryWall. Really nice guy, his company is Sergio Macias Drywall. I'm sorry you have to deal with all this, we had a leak in our bathroom 2 years ago and had to rip out our shower and all our flooring, even the subflooring!

Randi Patch said...

That is craziness! I have never seen paint stretch out like that. That's a bummer that had to happen right around Christmas too. I hope you are getting things figured out. It's good you guys aren't having to pay for it though.

Matt and Jade said...

WOW that picture is crazy. I hope it gets fixed soon. Good Luck.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

That stinks and it looks too familiar! I understand your worries about the mold, especially with little Selma around. I'm glad that you guys don't have to pay for it and I hope it gets resolved soon.

The Sayamas said...

Jeesh! That's bad! I do know someone who does an EXCELLENT job! We had the same thing happen to us last year on CHRISTMAS EVE (only luckily it was not as bad!) We hired Mark Kapp and he did a great job repairing it! Plus, you know he's honest. Good luck!

Chantel and Brian said...

What a mess! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I've never seen water do that do a wall before, with the paint sagging like that. Good luck getting it fixed!