So I promise that once something interesting happens in my life, I'll blog about something besides my life in the baby world, but for now that's all I've got :)
I think I've decided that quite possibly the worst thing in the world is seeing your child in pain, especially if it's because of something you did or could have prevented. I've debated about blogging about this for a few days now because it depicts how amateur and bad of a mom I am, but I guess nobody's perfect and I don't need to pretend like I am. These are important lessons that I learned so I figured I might need to remember them later.
Life Lesson #1: A couple weeks after she was born, I decided that I really needed to cut her nails. I kept putting it off and putting it off because I had the little "mittens" to keep her from scratching herself and those were doing the trick, right? Well, after she had proved me wrong and made herself cry by scratching herself in the face, I decided I needed to buck up and just do it.
I got our little baby nail clippers and attempted the semi-impossible while she was half-asleep to make the task just a little more simple.
Okay, deep breaths, you can do this. I took her little thumb in my hands and began to clip. Phew, one hand down, that wasn't too hard.
On to her other tiny hand. Grasping her pointer finger, I went to clip, but this didn't go as smoothly. Like the amateur that I am, I accidentally clipped a little too far and got a little bit of skin. Instantly she was screaming and in tears, it was terrible!! I even had to cut an adult band-aid down to fit her finger because I drew a little blood :( I comforted Selma and called my mom to get a little comfort of my own and this event was soon forgotten.
Life Lesson #2: After changing an especially messy diaper last week, I brought her out into the living room before washing my hands: Mistake 1.
Realizing I needed to wash my hands really fast, I laid her down on the couch horizontally: Mistake 2.
Things happen so fast with little babies. I laid her down on the couch for just a minute to wash my hands and while I was in the kitchen, heard the worst sound I think I've ever heard. A split second after I heard it she was screaming and my heart plummeted to my shoes. I knew exactly what had happened, she had rolled off the couch!!
That was probably the most horrible I had ever felt in my life because it was all my fault that that had happened. I ran and was by her side with her in my arms in a flash and she calmed down right away. I'm just glad our couches aren't very high and she didn't fall very far. I'm still trying to get over the guilt but she had her two month appointment yesterday and the doctor didn't find anything wrong so hopefully she's okay :(
Speaking of her two month appointment, she was weighed and measured and is doing great!! She's 11 lbs 1 oz (75th percentile), 22.5 in long (75th percentile), and her head is I think 17.5 in? I can't remember but it's the 25th percentile. They said she's doing perfectly height and weight wise and she's progressing quite nicely :)
Yesterday was also dreaded because it was vaccination time. She had to get poked three times, luckily they have two nurses come in so they can do them at the same time, but it was still really hard. She was grasping onto my fingers and as soon as they poked her she drew in this humongous breath to scream and kept holding it and holding it until her face turned bright red, it was horrible!! As soon as they were done I picked her right up and she cried for a few seconds and was done. She slept a lot the rest of the day but was fussy the rest of the night, you could just tell she was still in pain because she's not normally like that.
These were our friends last night:


The Tylenol did help her feel better but she kept waking up during the night and the only thing that would calm her down was rocking her and singing her primary songs each time. I think I got some of the words wrong, but that didn't seem to matter :) I'm just hoping that tonight I'll get some more of this:
And a little less of this:

I know this wasn't the most uplifting or happy post but this past week has brought new mommy experiences to me that I thought I should remember. Here's to many happier memories to come! Love you baby girl!
I know this wasn't the most uplifting or happy post but this past week has brought new mommy experiences to me that I thought I should remember. Here's to many happier memories to come! Love you baby girl!
14 comments:
I bet every new mom makes those "mistakes"...I know I did. When I clipped Madi's finger and made her bleed, I cried! LOL...darn hormones! Don't beat yourself up! I'll probably accidentely clip Tanner's fingers when he comes too.
Are you kidding? Even the best moms make mistakes. I can only hope that these little ones you made are all that I do! You really are a great mom and little Selma knows that too!
oh Steph your a great mom! I did the same to Trae with his fingernails!! I felt so bad! it was so bad that I had to put a bandaid on it! his nails grow sooo fast! Luckily I haven't cut his little skin since! your a great mom!!! I promise.
I already told you my story about letting Liz fall off the couch. Those moments don't make you feel like the mother-of-the-year, but everyone has them. Know that you are a great mom and Selma is one lucky little girl.
You are such a cute mom! I can not wait to make mistakes too, b/c I am sure I WILL, and then cry, then hopefully get over it, but probably not! I am not a mom yet, but you sound like a great mom! Selma is a lucky girl, so do beat yourself up, there are defiantly worse moms out there... just read the news! :-)
Don't even feel like you can't make mistakes little missy! I know I'll make plenty of them but I'm sure our little ones understand. Who is Selma's Dr? I gotta figure out who to take my little one to!
We've all had days like those. you're a great mom. things just happen. Don't fret the small stuff ( :
Don't worry Steph your not the only one. The first time I cut Owen's nails I cut him too and I know exactly how you felt because I felt the same way. Like the worst mom ever, but you and I both know that is not true for either of us. Things happen and it helps us to learn. Your a great mommy and you love your little Selma and she knows that too.
Hey Steph! Your little girl is beautiful! Congrats! Guess what...I did the same exact thing to Halia! I just cried and held her and apologized for a half hour I swear. It gets easier..I think..I still hate doing it. It continues to freak me out everytime. I'm glad I found you! Its good to see how you are doing!
I can't believe how big she is getting, and she's absolutely beautiful!
congrats on your little one. she is so cute! I've found a lot of peoples blogs from the old ward and its been so fun to see all the pictures and read whats new with everyone. hope its i added you guys to our blog. ours is degiuliofamily2006.blogspot.com :)
Oh Steph! You are so cute! Don't worry! Every mom makes mistakes! And those aren't even mistakes! They are learning experiences! We all have to go through them! I'm sure I'll probably do those same things coming up here in the next little bit! What would like be without those little experiences? I'm sure you are a GREAT mom and your little Selma is beautiful! I love her big bold eyes!! GORGEOUS!
Trust me you are not alone! We NEED to get together. It was so good to see you at costco. I saw that you sent and email last week and I accidently deleted it so if it was important resend K :)
It gets better with your second. I don't know if it is because your are less paranoid or what, but trust me.....not as bad. I can't even count the times I have royally done something stupid to brinley. I did the finernail thing too, and if it makes you feel better, I dropped her while she was in her carseat because a spider was on me. You are a WAY better mom then I ever was with brinley. I really look up to you for that. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment