Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Where Does the Time Go?

Not that this will be me, but I thought it was a pretty funny depiction of labor and what I could possibly be going through in a couple of weeks.


So I can't believe that D-Day, or my "DD" (due date) is only 19 days away, it's crazy how time flies!! If you had asked me a week or two ago before I had discovered Zantac I would have told you that I was more than ready to get this little one out of me. Now that the throat-burning, nausea-inducing acid is under control, however, I've gotten almost a little sad that I haven't taken as much advantage of all of the lovely little things that I've gotten to experience during this amazing, crazy rollercoaster that I've been on the past 9 months.

To think that this part of the adventure will be over soon is bittersweet. Sweet in that I get to finally hold my precious baby girl in my arms soon and bitter in that I won't get to feel her cute little feet pushing against my belly and her squirming and wriggling as if to let me know that she wants out!!

I'm now in my 38th week and everything is going pretty good! I had a doctor's appointment on Monday and he said that I could go anytime, although I'm sure they tell everyone that. He said that I'm currently dilated to a 1 and 50% effaced so I don't have that much progress but he said that really that doesn't mean a whole lot because I could be dilated to a 4 and 95% effaced and be that way for 2 more weeks. Hearing him tell me that I didn't have too much progress going on didn't bother me too much because I think being told that I had a lot of progress would get my hopes up and set me up for a little disappointment if I ended up going late or something.


Me at 36 weeks, the last week before my feet started getting a little swollen. I think I might be in denial. Seeing Halloween pictures of myself is a lot different than a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Either way though, I'm feeling good and Baby is doing well so we couldn't be happier!

We had a childbirth class last Saturday at ORMC (where we'll be delivering, so make note because we love visitors! :) I'd heard a lot of what we learned there before since girls tend to share their labor stories and talk about stuff like that. I don't see guys talking too much about labor stories, however, so it was really fun taking that class as a couple and letting Sky learn a bit more of what's going to happen.

During the class, the teacher, a really nice RN from upstairs, showed a video of various women in the different stages in labor. Apparently Sky almost fainted during one of those videos in a high school health class so the teacher made sure to keep an eye on him. He even got a special can of juice before the movie started to boost up his blood sugar. Hopefully he's gotten all of the labor fears out of his system so we won't have somebody treating him after he's hit the floor. Taking a tour of the Family Birthplace was my favorite part. I love that they have the Birthing Suites so that you're able to stay in the same room throughout the whole process, not to mention that they're awesomly spacious :)

If anyone is even still reading this post, I'm begging for some more advice as I hit the last couple weeks of my pregnancy. Over these next two weeks, we're just getting the last few things together that we need (and I think we've gotten a pretty good list thanks to everyone's advice and comments that they left on my Products Post) including our hospital bag, yikes! My doctor asked if I had packed my bag yet and when he found out that I hadn't, he said that I better get on it. Even though I have my trusty "What to Expect When You're Expecting" list by my side, I really value other people's different, brilliant ideas and think that they're a lot more practical than a book a lot of the time.


This brings me to my plight and my question to all of you moms (or anyone who has experience in this area) out there... When packing your hospital bag, what 3 things would you make sure to bring (or wish you would have packed)?

Any help or advice in this area would be most appreciated as I really enjoy feeling prepared and because I have a huge tendency to overpack :) Thanks ladies!!

18 comments:

Marianne said...

1. If you're planning on nursing I would get some nursing jammies at Motherhood and take them to the hospital. I wore mine after having Clara, and it was so much more comfortable than the hospital gown. If you're not nursing, get some new regular comfy jammies that make you feel cozy and cute.

2. A journal

3. Camera (picture and video)

Cami said...

Snacks for Skyler, and cozy socks for you, there's something about the epidural that made me fre3ezing cold. Also, if you don't like the hospital binky's, make sure you bring one's you want your baby to take, or they will give you those nasty hospital one's, then it's history from there.

Clark Family said...

Well I don't have any experience to go off of, but I thought I'd share or at least atempt, just the same:

Definatly your cameras!!
Skyler's pajamies/change of clothes,
and ah....have your carseat ready??

Only a few more days left!! I'm so excited for you!

Dream come true said...

Oh my gosh I have so much to say but I will try to keep it short. Since I just had Tatum 10 days ago it is still fresh. First of all you WILL miss being pregnant I can't explain it but I still cry when I think of those last weeks before having her. Dont wish a secong of it away. But she is so perfect I can't really wish I was pregnant again. Make Sense? Second about the bag we forgot toothpaste and bryce had to go home to get my boppy to help me nurse. He loved having treats because I was in labor for 13 and a half hours which can get a little boring for them. Also take a hat for her for when you go home and get some of those little mittens so she doesn't scratch herself those were and are a life saver. Within 1 minute of chaning her into her go home outfit she had scratched herself up. Thankfully I had brought the little mittens (socks work too) I coul go on and on and on but I wont :) Ogden regional was awesome enjoy every minute of it I am so jealous you still have the experience to go through.

candice said...

If you are going to have a tub to soak in the hospital stay days after I'd take some nice bath soap. My sister gave me some and it was so nice and soothing after labor. I am excited for you. YOu look so cute prego.

hoLLY said...

what a good post that you can look back and remember how your feeling, you forget easily! Girl you better pack your bag asap! you never know when that little girl will decide to make her big debute! first you need your camera and or a video camera, that day becomes a blur and its fun to look back and remember how fun and exciting it was!!! second cute comfy pjs that gown they have you wear is not attractive at all! and last a toothbrush, your gunna have lots of visitors, you don't want to have bad breath! haha im so excited for you guys, its the best experience you'll ever have!!!

JOHNICA said...

O Steph! I'm so excited for you. I don't have any experience but I will say good luck and I hope that little Selma is healthy and you are as well! I'll come see ya!

Dream come true said...

I remembered one more thing a nursing bra. my nurse said that everyone forgets that

Laci, Jonn, Kaden and Maylee said...

Hey girl I am so excited for you!!! This is one of the best experiences you will ever have!! It is such a special time!! You already have so many people giving you good advice about what to bring to the hospital and it sounds like they have covered everything to me....so here is my little advice to you!!! Enjoy your sleep now!! Cause when the baby comes...you wont get any!! :) Its so worth it though!! I cant wait to see pictures of your precious baby girl!!

Chantel and Brian said...

I also like ORMC, that is where I delivered Parker, but more than that, my mom is an RN in labor and delivery there! You should request her, Cheryl Lawrence. Also Laural,and Mary Ann are really good nurses ( : I LOVE the suites there as well, I was able to stay in one...but beware that if they are really busy, which they are most days, you have a really good chance in staying in a smaller room...but you'd still be in the same room teh whole time.
When I packed my bags my tops three things I was REALLY glad I had was a nursing nightgown (from motherhhood maternity) it was way better for company, cozy for me, and much much better than the hospital gown. They let you wear what you want after you deliver. Second thing would be fuzzy socks/slippers. The hospital is keep cool and if you walk around your room, which you probably will if you don't go c-section, your feet will freeze! And then third would be yummy food...they have barely tasty, sometimes, food from the cafeteria (although ORMC does have a subway in the cafeteria) and it was nice to have some of my own food and snacks. Oh, and of course...your camera! The rooms all of DVD players as well, and I was glad I took movies, since my labor progressed slowly. It's very boring just sitting there was I had my epideral, and could no longer feel pain...so I popped in a movie. Hope this helps!

Chantel and Brian said...

One more thing...sorry! I took my own pillow, and I'm glad I did! There pillows were hard! and like another reader said, take a nursing bra if your going to nurse!

The Sayamas said...

Wow time has passed so fast! I still remember when you first told me! That is so awesome that you were already at a 1 and 50% effaced! I think that's great for a first baby! I hope I don't repeat anything anyone else said but here's what I suggest:

1. Slippers or comfy slip on shoes
2. A bath robe
3. Lotion that won't make you nauseous
4. Her baby book-have it ready when they take her footprints so they can do it in the book as well.

I can't wait to meet your little girl Steph! I hope everything goes well for you and please let us know when she is born! We'd love to come visit (without our kids) if that's ok! Love ya and good luck with everything, I am sure you'll have such an amazing experience!

Courtney Allphin said...

I can't believe your only a couple weeks away! I can't wait. I hope you have her while I'm up there so i can come to the hospital. You better call me!

Chantel and Brian said...

k, I know i've already left a couple of comments, but I wanted to say that my mom and I were talking about you last night, I was just telling her that you would be coming in within the next two weeks, since she's an RN there, and she said to remind you that you need to know what pediatrician you're going to use for your baby girl before you go in. She said tons of people go in there and are like "i have to have a pediatrician, I have to pick one?" so pick it now if you haven't already, so you're ready!

Jen said...

Steph, you look so cute! So here is what I would have died without at the hospital. My own pillow! I didn't take it with Cade and was sooo needing more, softer, pillows since I was in labor for 21 hours. I learned and took it when I had the girls. Also, I would take lip stuff, your lips get really dry because they won't let you drink or eat anything during labor. Last thing, take some plain paper for them to do extra little footprints on. I don't know what Ogden Regional does but both hospitals I have been to I haven't liked the paper because it has writing over their cute little footprints. You will have to ask your nurse to do extras for you before she is born because you will forget and sometimes they just do it and you don't even know. Good Luck!

Kami said...

Ha, I totally just winged it and didn't even pack until the morning that Ridge came. Maybe because it was a 2nd baby, ha ha. I love your belly! I would LOVE to take baby Stella's cute little pictures. Post some pictures of her finished Nursery!

Georgi Family said...

You look so stinking cute steph! I am so excited for you guys. Your lives are going to change for the better coming up here. I love being a mom. (minus the lack of sleep) If you need anything just let me know! And a little advice..... don't drink castor oil!! It doesn't work and it just makes you puke your guts out. I am a dork and thought that I would try it with taylor and.....well, didn't work. But 2 weeks later I had him. 8) Just the thought of that stuff made me up-chuck in my mouth.

Georgi Family said...

oh, one more thing....as far as clothes to go home in goes.....get them way larger than you would even dream of wearing. With taylor I bought a medium size sweat outfit and I couldn't even get those pants over my butt! It was way embarracing.! Nephi had to go shop in the fat department for me. 8)